View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Interesting. I always had a liking for this chapter - it might not have been a favourite, but it left a full feeling. It's a rich chapter and I guess I like the flavour. I find most of the Gollum chapters unpleasant despite all the intricacies of relationships and philosophy (kudos to the author - Gollum had to be very real to be so repulsive); they are more of an unavoidable chore during cover to cover rereads. This chapter, as well as Of Herbs And Stewed Rabbit, are the exceptions. Both have so much other warmth and flavour that even Stinker doesn't stick so much. I suppose Gollum has some interesting behaviour in both chapters too, so maybe that is another factor.

I guess we all have our least favourite chapters. But who knows what I'll think of the Gollum stuff in 10 years.