View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #23
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But you see he had already met Aragorn without being all OMG U R TOTES A ELF!!!111!! That suggests a greater significance to me.
He had met Aragorn knowing his history and probably when Aragorn was worn by travels. We are told that when Aragorn and Arwen were betrothed

But Aragorn was grown to full stature of body and mind, and Galadriel bade him cast aside his wayworn raiment, and she clothed him in silver and white, with a cloak of elven-grey and a bright gem on his brow. Then more than any king of Men he appeared, and seemed rather an Elf-lord from the Isles of the West. And thus it was that Arwen first beheld him again after their long parting; and as he came walking towards her under the trees of Caras Galadhon laden with flowers of gold,1 her choice was made and her doom appointed.

By that description Aragorn could easily be mistaken for an Elf.

Imrahil's description and appearance is to give the reader an indication of how great Gondor was and still is. He is after all the highest noble in the country and virtually an independent ruler.
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, I'm inclined to think WCH may have the right of here:

This would make it irrelevant whether the Mithrellas story is meant to be true or just a family legend.
I was not discussing Mithrellas, but the case of Dior and his sons. Mithrellas of course would not have a choice, because the decision had already been made. Dior on the other hand died before a decision had been made and I suspect he may have been given a choice or even assumed to be an elf considering his history.

To further drive home the point. Look at the description of Turin, who didn't even have a drop of Elvish blood.

'But you are kingly,' said she, 'even as the lords of the people of Fingolfin; I would I had
a brother so valiant. And I do not think that Agarwaen is your name, nor is it fit for you,
Adanedhel. I call you Thurin, the Secret.'

But Turin was young, and only now reached his full manhood; and he was in truth the son of Morwen Eledhwen to look upon: tall, dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal men, in the Elder Days. His speech and bearing were those of the ancient kingdom of Doriath, and even among the Elves he might be taken at first meeting for one from the great houses of the Noldor.

If someone with no Elvish blood could be mistaken for a Noldor Lord straight from seeing the Trees, then I don't see why not so with Imrahil when the same is said of Aragorn.

Last edited by cellurdur; 04-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote