View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
We can also look at this from a story-external point of view: if Imrahil didn't, in fact, have Elvish ancestry, why include that dialogue at all?
Well if Imrahil was a close relation of Elendil then he would have Elvish ancestry, but through Elros.
1.Turin, Tuor and even Aragorn are all described at times as looking more like Elf Lords than men. I am sure if Legolas had met either Turin or Tuor he might mistakenly assume they had Elvish blood. If they could be mistaken for full Elves, then I it's even more likely Elves, had Dior not been the only exception at the time, would assume the same for them.
But you see he had already met Aragorn without being all OMG U R TOTES A ELF!!!111!! That suggests a greater significance to me.

Anyway, I'm inclined to think WCH may have the right of here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
There was no Choice: that applied only to Earendil, Elwing and their descendants, not to all offspring of Elves and Men. Otherwise, a "one drop" rule applied.
This would make it irrelevant whether the Mithrellas story is meant to be true or just a family legend.