View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #90
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
...And I must say I object to the term 'dumbing down' with respect to The Hobbit....
Dumbing down was a colloquialism applied to Morthoron's adaptation, in the post prior on the prior page, where she/he adapted an argument and compared creatures in proportions of mythology.

It is a summation of this:

Quote:
So what does Tolkien do after publishing The Hobbit? In writing a sequel, he magnifies the tale of Bilbo Baggins and the other characters. Gandalf goes from pitching pinecones to defeating a Balrog. Cozy Erebor becomes the decrepit but magnificent Khazad-dum. The dispossessed Bard with the black arrow becomes the dispossessed Aragorn with shards and a lineage that predates the Age. Oh, and a magic ring that grants invisibility becomes the One Ring, the manifestation of all evil, created by an eternal foe, Sauron, who was borrowed from the 1st Age, but now was hiding out as a necromancer in Dol Guldur but really has a far greater keep in Mordor. And Gollum become more than just a riddle-spouting side-character, but one of the prime movers of the new book, held in thrall by the Ring, he destroys it and it destroys him.
So, 'dumbing down' in that context. I object to having the objection objectively objected into an objecti--ungoliant-- at the morgoth's unFinwe-ised Miriel-unlighted. The premise to pin it on Gollumisaions and back-toUnGaladrieling.

Ie, Pitchwife, please don't pin that on me. It's better where it refers to. Morthoron was asserting that the Hobbit was less Lore-lofty, and I say dumbed down, run in reverse. The pre-AMPED UP variation.

PS: I am doing the research atm.

I'm pretty clear: there's some 1927 materials. That's the basic research premise. I'll be back.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote