Thread: Christianity
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 05:30 PM   #24
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Selmo's right. There isn't a whole lot of parallels between LOTR and our faith(I'm Catholic) although alot of people would say there were. I don't really believe that's what Tolkien was trying to accomplish. Anywho, I would like to say that if Christians can use this story to push their believes(as some have said) that that can be said for many religions. If you come right down to the basics of it, Good against evil, all love and peace, and no wars, sounds like most religions to me, without getting into the god stuff. People who get into the nitty-gritty stuff often find the problems that wouldn't have surfaced unless they put them in the open. I hate that reality. Instead of looking for differences in people, look for similarities. Makes life a whole lot easier. I'm with Selmo to, when I say that sadly I do know more about LOTR then the Bible. What can I say, if Tolkien had written the Bible, I'd read the whole darn thing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (Don't quote me on that)
Quote:
What attracts them to the stories so much when they believe in a completely different mythology?
Ahh, a good question. It actually has something to do with my signature. I'm atracked to the stories(and fantasy in general) because the idea of living in this world fasinates me. That's what I mean by Escape. People, not just christians feel the same way. Like back in the middle-ages(real history) people were obsessed with religion and the afterlife because their lives sucked. Not saying that our lives are awful(at least not as bad as the peasants) but these stories fill a small void that we ourselves wish for adventure.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:34 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Ainaserkewen ]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote