View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #3901
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry, but I've been away for five days on a work-trip and then had to catch up with my normal duties...

But as Legate said the "fell winter" was just a word coined to label one extremely bad winter that would help us get rid of extra characters from the Mead Hall - and add some therapeutic unity to the otherwise quarrelsome and torn place as they have needed to have survived it together.

I think it would be okay if people wished to come up with occurences during that winter by themselves in their posts after we start (like making their characters reminiscing of them or making some characters talking of them) and we others would then take them as given. So there would be no need for any details we'd need to come up with beforehand - except maybe a list of those who died (or disappeared).

Also my suggestion for the five years G55 kindly quoted was basically meant as nothing more but an initial suggestion, as one possible scenario.

~*~

If I'm not wrong, it seems only Scyld would benefit of a jump less than 5 years. That would suggest we'd make it five - which conclusion surely doesn't make Firefoot happy - but if the changes for all (or most) others are better with a 5-year jump I do think we should go with that.

A 5-year jump would give us an opportunity to include all our three ideas about the time jumped over into the plot (Aragorn's trip & the following good times and lot of people around, the muster of Rohan taking a lot of soldiers away & giving a reason to take Athanar away, and the terrible winter, the hardships and disaster it brings along & the healing effect it will have on the small community of the Mead Hall).

Also many characters would be so much more interesting to write if they'd need to go through some change or be of enough age (with the latter I'm thinking of Saeryn's twins: five year -olds are surely something more funny to write than three year -olds).

~*~

I'm also for a new thread if it is doable, mostly on reasons Lommy already voiced. It would get things clearer for old writers and more inviting (and less cryptic and insider-kind of thing) for the new writers.

Also I think that a couple of year's real-time pause, a five-year time-jump and a re-instating of the original patron to the Mead Hall are reason enough to start a third edition of the Mead Hall.