View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
While I agree with your suggestion, Boromir88, that Saruman may have made an offer to Théoden early in the latter's reign, I disagree that it might have been in the way you describe. For example, any offer would have excluded the slightest bit of anti-Gondorian sentiment. We have to remember that not only were Gondor and Rohan close allies; Théoden was half-Gondorian due to his mother, and was himself born in Gondor. Also, Théoden appears to have been a genuinely much loved monarch, which suggests that he was one of genuine ability, perhaps able to detect something 'not right' in Saruman's offer, without actually believing in his treachery.!Faramir Jones
Good point. I was thinking when Gandalf and company arrive in Edoras and Aragorn is asked to lay aside his sword at the door, there's tension because Aragorn refuses and says he's Elendil's heir in Gondor which trumps Théoden's rules. Hama saltily responds stating:

1. Aragorn's not King yet, because Denethor still sits on the throne in Gondor.
2. Even if he was, Rohan is autonomous, this is Théoden's land and Théoden's hall.

They were ready to fight over the incident, but Gandalf's cooler head prevails backing Hama, that a King will have his own way in his own hall. Thinking of that incident, I wondered if Saruman was trying to drive a wedge between Gondor and Rohan. It would certainly help him to break up their alliance with Gondor, but Boromir made clear at the Council the friendship between Gondor and Rohan was still very strong. The tension I was thinking about above was about Aragorn trying to press his claim, not about any rift between Gondor and Rohan.

I think it likely that Saruman would try to make it seem like Rohan was isolated from their Gondorian allies though. And in that way, with his offer he could press his own friendship. I agree there wouldn't be anti-Gondorian sentiment, but there would probably be a "You're isolated from your friends Théoden King, but I can help you."

Quote:
I agree completely with you here about Saruman, Zigûr. I can certainly see him being like many a present-day politician, shaping his speeches to the audience he's talking to, without as many of the dangers of being 'found out'.~Faramir Jones
Absolutely and no doubt aided by his skillful voice. A long time ago I put together an argument that Saruman was the greatest liar in Middle-earth (maybe even better than Sauron). He had everyone fooled for a long time. At the Council, Elrond was distressed because Saruman was deep in their councils. Gandalf showed some concern, but he admits going to Isengard without fearing any trap or any inkling that Saruman had turned traitor. We see he's able to manipulate both Dunlanders and the Rohirrim (excluding Eomer and Theodred). He spent time in Minas Tirith and was favored over Gandalf by some of the Stewards. But as Gandalf said, every spider leaves a weak thread:

Quote:
"Gandalf the Grey caught like a fliy in a spider's treacherous web! Yet even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread.
[...]
"That was the undoing of Saruman's plot. For Radagast knew no reason why he should not do as I asked; and he rode away towards Mirkwood where he had many friends of old."~The Council of Elrond
Saruman's weak thread was while he hid his intentions from Radagast and tricked him, Radagast wasn't evil, leading to Gandalf's escape. Then Gandalf has to go and blab to everyone. The only person that Saruman seems to have never been able to fool is Galadriel (as it was Galadriel who wanted Gandalf to head the White Council). Which isn't too surprising, since Galadriel is superb at getting inside everyone's heads and reading hearts. I suppose he wasn't fooling Theodred and Eomer either, but they were on the front lines as you could say and witnessed Saruman's treachery. With Théoden under his control, and as the UT notes, Théoden centralized power and issued all commands to his house and marshals through Grima. Eomer and Theodred were more thorns to be picked out...not anyone that was going to seriously threaten breaking his web of lies.