View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #30
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post
Hi there! I have a question, it's pretty unusual. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'd like an opinion from someone other than my brother. I've been asked to write a story/fanfic for my friend with Sam and Frodo in it and she wants the two hobbits to find a rabbit and rescue it, etc. However, another part of the plot is where Sam contemplates killing the rabbit for food. My question is, would book-Sam do this or even actually kill a rabbit (that he's gone to the trouble of rescuing)? I say no, my brother says yes.

What do you think?
Hey there! Well, you don't really rescue a rabbit only to kill it for food moments later, do you? But how about this: Frodo and Sam finds a rabbit entangled in some thorns or string, Sam says something like "Oh the poor things suffers, might as well have coney-stew tonight!" but Frodo holds him, checks the rabbit to see if it's okay, then urges Sam to release it saying they already have enough food for this trip packed. And Sam gets all goey-eyed over his Master's Goodness and Wisdom. That wouldn't be out of character I think. Not much of a story in itself though. Maybe Sam learns something about mercy here that he later in the story puts to good use in a more serious situation?

To answer your question though: yes, he would and yes he could.

Last edited by skip spence; 08-14-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added a line
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote