View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
...about Evil as a singularity, I don't think that is possible without splitting the mind in two in the Tolkien Universe. So, in my earlier posts, I hint at the moral culpability of the Valar, by their refusal to see the shadow side of their own creations. This was what I termed the inadvertent evil that is borne of a basking in one's own beauty, truth and creations, without heed for how such things look to their shadow side (with unsight). Melkor, in his great and overt Vanity, is then a Vanity Mirror for the Valar, who denied (and did not resolve) their own Vanity in so much of their creations, but to their great peril. Humility resolves Vanity. Only Nienna had that.

As such, Melkor, as initiator (in a revised role of the context of 'initiator') unmakes his bretheren's creations enough times such that the Valar do, indeed, grow aware of their fallibility, and Vanity. So, Melkor does have an important place in Arda, and I suspect Eru knew this--the Second Great Music and then the Third Theme. I believe Eru placed Melkor into Creation knowing what he was going to do. Nienna, the perpetually weeping Maia who spared no tears for any part of creation, looks to Middle Earth, and she, alone of them all, has sufficient humility to sit with the marring of Arda and grieve for it.

The rest of the Valar, to be honest, do remain fairly much entrenched in denial. Shifting them to compassion is pretty difficult and takes a tumultuous event. They, in the end, are bound to their own fates, and know that any further tampering with reality would achieve naught. For, they never solved the problem of evil, and how to manifest a creation without embedding their creations, inadvertently, with great vulnerabilities implicit in Arda's reality fabric. Elves--Orcs (beings that are bodily antithetical), Elves--Nazgul (spiritually antithetical as life and unlife), The Three Rings (Extending the Flame Imperishable, just to extend the Unlife of the Wraith Realm, by proportion).

A repair in the Second Making would apply what I term a greed-dead-lock to protect a creation....

Last edited by Ivriniel; 05-23-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote