View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #205
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I didn't say otherwise. In fact I explicitly stated they had dual ethnicity but they have full rights and obligations if citizenship. Similarly while Tolkien states that the half elven had physical traits of both races, it doesn't mean that Elrond and Elros having made their choice cannot be regarded as part of their chosen people.

I agree it is a bit harsh on Dior given he was raised Elvish but the evidence of. His and Elwing's swift maturity rather points at him being regarded as mortal.
On the last point I disagree with you with. Earendil and Elwing had a swift maturity too, it seems to be a trait of the Half-Elven. They age like Men, but once reaching maturity slow down to the rate of Elves up to their deaths. Half-Elves are also seem to be free from disease and other troubles of Men.

Tolkien still makes clear distinctions between the two such as his comments about Arwen or using similes to compare Elrond with Elves. So even when the Peredhil choose the race they wish to belong there is still that distinction between the two.

As for Dior he was without debate the first of the Peredhil. He himself announces this and Tolkien confirms it. I personally and this is just personal choice, don't buy the story of Imrazor and Mithrellas. I don't think there were ever any other marriages between Elves and men than: Luthien and Beren, and Tuor with Idril. Consequently it's easier for me to accept that Dior and his sons were given a choice in the Halls of Mandos and the two branches of Peredhil were united in the children of Earendil and Elwing.

Just to illustrate the point look at the description about how fair Legolas is.

'cried Legolas, and in his fair elvish face there was great distress. '

There is no need for a simile or a comparison. Now compare that with Elrond or his sons.

He was as noble and fair as an elf-lord

'they are fair and gallant as Elf-lords; and that is not to be wondered at in the sons of Elrond of Rivendell’.

By rank, by heritage and by might, Elrond and his sons should be Elf Lords, but are not.

Last edited by cellurdur; 03-23-2014 at 05:15 PM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote