View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #201
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I don't see why Dior would get a choice. He was born to two mortals ans so woud have been mortal. Like the offspring of Elros. He married an elf of course and their children were therefore halfelven, unless an unrecorded exception was made he would have shared the doom of men. However I would class Elrond as an elf comparable to the children of a Japanese friend who have an English father. Half and half by ethnicity but fully British by nationality, though they had the option of taking Japanese nationality up to age 18.
Dior getting a choice is wishful thinking on my part, but not without a little bit to be hopeful for. Dior was immersed in the Elvish lifestyle was married to an Elf and ruled over an Elvish kingdom. He also choice to marry an Elf before he knew the consequences of his actions. It seems very harsh to me that the Valar would not give him a choice, but nothing in the text suggest they did.

Perhaps that's a better analogy, but your friend in question will always have some of the traits associated typically with Japanese ethnicity. Whatever, his or her nationality she will remain of mixed heritage.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote