View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Ummm...Ivriniel enclosed her remarks with . "Cheeky" means impudent or saucy; rude and showing a lack of respect often in a way that seems playful or amusing. So, yes, she was joking.
- yes joking - though there are items to rescue from the post about Galadriel's motivations. Sauron was the archetypal intrusive psyche, and his impacts upon cognition through the Ring was to create the same (Borormir to Frodo). I suspect that when Galadriel was reading minds or discerning a person's inner orientation, she was looking for that which was familiar to her about how Sauron worked.

I wonder, though, if Galadriel was, herself, not completely sure of an outcome between Boromir and Frodo. She did not read exact thoughts, only indications of overall bearing in the covert mental realm. She was also not able to read Annatar, (and neither did the Gwaith-i-Mirdain) which implies limits to the discerning Elvish eye. She may have detected greed for the ring, or some unrest, or something 'sneeky' that was Boromir's covert scheming, or restive thinking. He was, from the beginning, pro 'Ring for Gondor'. How would she have assessed the level of impact of the risk? How could she know whether or not he was going to actually try to take the Ring?

In which case, if one imagines taking a friend aside and saying, basically, 'look, one of your close companions is going to rob your home-but I'm not sure'. It's not the sort of thing one would usually say. It pre-empts difficulties in friendship/peer circles and was basically, akin to gossip. So, I take the points upstream citing Elvish wisdom as, generally, not something that engaged in 'counsel'--

Though that's also quite difficult to square off in another series of senses.

1. The entire White Counsel is an intervention, and involves counsel that affects the socio-political orientation of the anti-sauronic movement.
2. It is also difficult to square against the entire premise of the Mirror itself! The darned thing gives insights about the future! and
3. It was antithetical to Galadriel's approach to Frodo in the Mirror of Galadriel chapter. The whole chapter was about her counsel to and of Frodo.

I also seem to recall that Frodo already suspected Boromir. I wonder if this was an unspoken between Frodo and Galadriel, where their conversational focus was elsewhere. Recall that Frodo could discern Nenya on Galadriel's hand where that was generally not doable. So, the two had a kind of 'Ring-ish' understanding anyway.

Ivriniel
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote