View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willemijn View Post
But exactly that Tolkien hinted at, when saying that Galadriel and Feanor were the greatest of the Eldar of Aman. I donīt think it was limited to the age of the trees but more a general statement why else mentionig Luthien as the greatest overall and stating that these three are the chief matter of histories and legends of the Eldar. I assume everyone knows the quote, otherwise I will search for it and post it properly.
The quote I copied specified the Third Age, not "of all time". You'll have to dig up the quote.

Quote:
Why, because sheīs female?
So many people reflexively go here. (Sigh...)

You might have missed where I've declared myself a Galadriel fan, btw.

Quote:
Maybe in power of arms, but much more important (to me at least) is the spirital power. Maybe she wouldnīt win in a swords fight but sure in a duell of song ( her brother was able to do it, and she was greater than him) and not to forget the incident at Dol Goldur, were she was able to laid bare itīs pits.
Well, more important to you. However, arms comprise one aspect of power, wisdom another, crafting another, and song/magic yet another. Taken together, she doesn't reach the peak of the pyramid occupied by some others.

Quote:
One has to wonder what exactly makes her the equal of Feanor and the greatest besides him, I donīt think it is only her wisedom, for Feanor was not wise at all, so itīs not hard to be wiser than him.
It depends on your definition of wisdom, I would say. In terms of knowledge and lore, he had the ability to craft the Silmarils. 'Nuff said. However, if you limit the definition of wisdom to mere common sense, then he's lacking.

Quote:
Tolkien however stated several times Galadriel being extraordinary among the Eldar.
And so she is extraordinary. No doubt about it. I agree 100%.

You asserted, however, that "she [Galadriel], Feanor, and Luthien were the greatest of the elves in the history of Arda". That's a bit different than being extraordinary.