View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #159
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
I'm not doubting Glorfindel's power. I'm just saying I don't know that he would be that one who is most powerful in Rivendell. It is certainly possible, but I do not know this. As I pointed out there were great Elves from Aman who dwelt there and as Gandalf said, "against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power." [FotR, Bk: 2; ch. 1, p. 269] An example of an Elf fighting a Maia would be Gil-galad who actually did take Sauron out who was said to be the greatest of Melkor's servants, also Ecthelion himself took out a Balrog, in fact the Chief Balrog Gothmog. In Rivendell there still reside great Elves besides Glorfindel, augmented though his abilities may be.
Gil-galad fought Sauron with Elendil and it would seem Elendil alsted longer.

Defeating a foe in a physical fight does not mean you are his or her equal in power.

Glorfindel already was a Balrog slayer and after this had his powers GREATLY enhanced.

This quote by Gandalf also adds weight to the argument.

"Even if you chose for us an Elf-Lord such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road of fire by the power that is in him."

It is Glorfindel alongside Gandalf who have the seats at the right and left hand of Elrond.

Is there a direct statement that Glorfindel is the most powerful elf in Middle Earth? No. However, like with Sauron personally attacking Imladris, all the evidence implies he was.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote