View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorthaur the Cruel View Post
I think Glorfindel is indeed counted among the elves who remained. Technically, he was still in Middle-earth in the 3rd age, so his blessedness is a moot point. Despite his spiritual enhancement due to his resurrection, can one honestly say that his spiritual stature exceeds that of Galadriel, who is reputed to be the equal of Feanor, mightiest of all the eldar (excepting Luthien)? I really cannot see Glorfindel's spiritual might as greater than Galadriel 's when Tolkien himself states that she, Feanor, and Luthien were the greatest of the elves in the history of Arda. A more appropriate and realistic comparison would be between Glorfindel and Elrond--who has never lived in pre-darkened Valinor but has the lineage of Luthien.
Not to split hairs, but in Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age Tolkien said of Galadriel:
A queen she was of the woodland Elves, the wife of Celeborn of Doriath, yet she herself was of the Noldor and remembered the Day before days in Valinor, and she was the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth.
That's of those who remained in the 3rd Age. While she was also the mightiest of the female Eldar, which makes her veritably angelic in power, it's quite another matter to say she was at the very pinnacle of the all-time list of mighty Eldar. Feanor made the Silmarils. He also fought (and presumably beat) several balrogs before being killed by Gothmog. Fingolfin fought and wounded Morgoth, himself. Eärendil killed Ancalagon. At least four of Feanor's seven sons, and a few more elves would likely rank ahead of her in power.

That's not to diminish or demean her in any fashion, by the way- I'm a big fan of Galadriel's particularly feminine brand of latent power.

Last edited by Andsigil; 12-23-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote