View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post

I don't think there's a reason to doubt Boromir's words here. He's travelled 110 days alone already and wouldn't mind going back alone either. He didn't leave for Rivendell to get allies, but for counsel and words of wisdom. Now he is rather candid later that while he didn't come seeking help, they do need it and in Boromir's perspective help comes in the forms of weapons and soldiers.

Boromir only saw victory through weapons and strength of arms. As he became more desperate to save his City he perceived the Ring as that weapon. Frodo could have been bearing the Ring of Power and applie pies, if Boromir thought apple pies were Sauron's bane he would have tried to use them instead of some silly gold trinket. Boromir's thoughts to use the Ring were at the time, no more than what Gandalf and Elrond had considered as well. The real dangers was in choosing the wrong Ring-bearer, not in choosing the Ring-bearers companions.

I'm out of time, but hopefully more later to discuss on the necessary dynamics Boromir added...and some on Denethor and Gimli.
Hmm yes and no. Your post made me think about the enormity of Boromir leaving Gondor because of a dream.

They are pressed militarly, in great danger, and he is their greatest warrior and (in his and Denethor's mind) their greatest leader - in the middle of all this, where he is BADLY needed, he suddenly treks off to check up on what his brothers dream might be about...

Seek for the Sword that was broken:
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That Doom is near at hand,
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand

There's not much in those words that would make it so-so important to know the answer. No need to go to Rivendell to find out that "Doom was near at hand", they were all perfectly well aware of that.

So Boromir must have had a spritual side as well, I think some sort of vague notion/feeling that there was some sort of magical something at Rivendell, meaning not "weapons and soldiers" that could help them.
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote