View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NogrodtheGreat View Post
. At a superficial level, it is a kind of otherworldly “Celtic” paradise, where the Elves live without distrupting the natural processes that go on in the forest. But in fact – and this is crucial – Lothlorien is a completely ‘artificial’ environment. It’s ‘purity’ is sustained by some kind of Magic, emanating from Galadriel and her Ring. The relationship is at its core one of control and mastery. I’m not sure how such a relationship might be evoked through architecture, but at the very least I would argue that the filmmakers’ conception of the Elves as ‘natural’ is flawed and reflected a superficial reading. Furthermore, that their choice of Celtic imagery is actually misleading in this respect. What say you?
"On the land of Lorien there was no stain" strikes me as the kind of mastery and control that protects from decay, not that creates a"completely artificial environment". And rather than describing the elves as not disrupting the natural processes of the forest, I think of them as driving out darkness and decay to allow health and vigor. Again, that doesn't'sound artificial to me, as in anti-nature, but rather pro-nature.