View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Jallanite.

I'm 100% Dutch by descent, not English. The reason I say "our" heritage is because what I'm talking about is something that is human. LotR has been translated into Russian and Japanese, and it has documented that readers in those languages have just as keen an appreciation for LotR as anyone of Germanic descent.

"Know in my bones" is metaphorical. Considering the erudition with which you usually write, you should know that. Although it is a poorer way of saying the same thing, the knowing I am talking about is not merely rational. It's not only emotional, either. There is something deep inside me that is mysterious to myself that LotR connects to in a way that gives deep meaning to me. I do not understand it. I don't think it can be understood.

The motifs you mention are a piece of it. It strikes me that Jean Sibelius' music affects me and my siblings (who have also thoroughly read Tolkien) in the same way.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote