Thread: Dwarf shortage
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I think Azanulbizar is not helped by their CGI opponents giving absolutely no frame of reference either.
"Frames of reference" are an interesting thing to reflect on regarding dwarves because as a race one of their defining characteristics only becomes apparent in relation to others, i.e. they need others around to help define themselves.

This has always kind of bugged me and I've thought from time to time it would be nice to have a story that centers on dwarves, but you can't tell that they are "dwarves" until well into the plot when they meet members of another race for the first time and are shorter than the other race.

This issue also calls to mind the Elder Scrolls universe where the (sadly extinct ) Dwemer are more or less the same size as everyone else but are considered "dwarves" because they spent so much time interacting with giants.