View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #236
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPhillock View Post
I really liked what Zigūr said. Especially since I've been trying to keep a record of what I wanted to have done in the "Hobbit" movie.
Why thank you. Honestly the whole thing feels like one missed opportunity after another in a certain light to my mind. I mean, take away all the additions to the story and the plot is relatively faithful, but the mood and tone is still all over the place. Consider the "good morning" sequence which was one of the most faithfully retained. Instead of the bluff Bilbo disguising his anxiety with more and more politeness we get the routine Martin Freeman bemused-and-cagey performance. Maybe it's just the strength of my mental images but a lot of the film's scenes seem to lack a certain gusto which is found in the source material.
In every one of these films there's something that stops me dead when I even consider rewatching them: incoherent wounded Frodo or dunderhead Treebeard or "go home Sam" or something like that. I think for "An Unexpected Journey" it has to be Thorin. What a bore.