View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
EluThingol
Pile O'Bones

EluThingol has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Actually, we know of several Dwarves notable for their smithcraft. Telchar is probably the most prominent example, who forged Angrist (which Beren used cut the Silmaril from the Crown of Morgoth), the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin worn originally by Azaghâl of Belegost but most famously by Túrin Turambar, and of course Narsil, the sword of Elendil, later reforged by the smiths of Rivendell into Andúril which Aragorn wielded in the War of the Ring. Telchar's tutor Gamil Zirak the Old was also a noteworthy smith who made many treasures later owned by none other than your namesake Thingol of Doriath.

Speaking of Dwarves and craftsmen more generally, I might also mention Narvi of Khazad-dûm who, in the Second Age, built the Doors of Durin on the Western side of the Misty Mountains alongside Celebrimbor, who I think also has a place on a list of great craftsmen, given that he forged the Rings of Power, and notably the Three Rings, independently of the influence of Sauron.

To name another Elf we must also give a moment to the sinister Eöl, the Dark Elf, who forged Anguirel, the sword of Maeglin, and Anglachel, the sword of Turambar, which quite notably spoke to its master upon his suicide. I don't know about rankings, but making a talking sword is a rather impressive feat in my view.

Given how many important smiths there are in Professor Tolkien's work, and how recurrent themes of making, manufacturing, art and science are in his texts I'm sometimes surprised more isn't made of them (if you'll pardon the pun).

Im certainly going to have to rethink my list.

Narvi, Telchar, Gamil for the Dwarves.

Celebrimbor for his work with Dhum and the rings certainly makes him a contender for being just under Feanor as far as the Elves... Eol is also right up there.

No mention of men as far as smiths...
EluThingol is offline   Reply With Quote