View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EluThingol View Post
I would love to know if I missed any of the Dwarves but Tolkien didnt seem to point out any one of them individually to take credit for their great works, as Khazad Dhum, or the Nauglamir, etc. It's more credited to "the dwarves" as a group.
Actually, we know of several Dwarves notable for their smithcraft. Telchar is probably the most prominent example, who forged Angrist (which Beren used cut the Silmaril from the Crown of Morgoth), the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin worn originally by Azaghāl of Belegost but most famously by Tśrin Turambar, and of course Narsil, the sword of Elendil, later reforged by the smiths of Rivendell into Andśril which Aragorn wielded in the War of the Ring. Telchar's tutor Gamil Zirak the Old was also a noteworthy smith who made many treasures later owned by none other than your namesake Thingol of Doriath.

Speaking of Dwarves and craftsmen more generally, I might also mention Narvi of Khazad-dūm who, in the Second Age, built the Doors of Durin on the Western side of the Misty Mountains alongside Celebrimbor, who I think also has a place on a list of great craftsmen, given that he forged the Rings of Power, and notably the Three Rings, independently of the influence of Sauron.

To name another Elf we must also give a moment to the sinister Eöl, the Dark Elf, who forged Anguirel, the sword of Maeglin, and Anglachel, the sword of Turambar, which quite notably spoke to its master upon his suicide. I don't know about rankings, but making a talking sword is a rather impressive feat in my view.

Given how many important smiths there are in Professor Tolkien's work, and how recurrent themes of making, manufacturing, art and science are in his texts I'm sometimes surprised more isn't made of them (if you'll pardon the pun).