View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It depends, but in my readings of late I seem to be detecting attempts by a number of writers to remove themselves from Tolkien's influence. Subverting old archetypes is all the rage right now...to the point that its becoming an archetype all its own that someday will be in need of subversion.

George R. R. Martin, who is probably the biggest figure in contemporary fantasy, is vocal about his debt to Tolkien. However, his stories are certainly not Tolkienesque.

Steven Erikson, who wrote the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, explicitly denies Tolkien's influence on his work.

Joe Abercrombie, of The First Law fame, praises Tolkien's work and writing, but at the same time (at least in my view) tries to minimize the level of Tolkien's influence on his own work.

I've never read Wheel of Time and am not familiar with Robert Jordan's or Brandon Sanderson's opinions of Tolkien or his influence on their work.