View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #35
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I discovered the Lord of the Rings over 2 years ago, but I don't think my friends have noticed anything different about me. I wouldn't call myself popular, more of a happy medium or having good friends and getting along pretty well with almost everyone else. Granted, I occasionally go a little too far and talk about something that makes people blink at me and go 'whaaat?' but I genrally try to keep school and Lord of the Rings seperate. Not all of my friends know about my 'obsession', but my closest friend knows all about it, and shakes her head at me occasionally. But I don't really mind.
But what have I sacrificed? Well, I guess a lot of time. I spend about 1 to 2 hours on the net each evening, sometimes when I should be doing work. Some things that could be seen as sacrifices (writing fanfiction, for instance) have really helped me out with my school work and other things. My spelling has improved, for one.
I obviously sacrifice money. I buy a lot of merchandise from the movies, all Tolkien's books (which don't exactly come cheap) calenders, some weapons, bookmarks, posters etc etc.
On the whole I don't think I've had to scarifice a lot compared to other people. LotR seems to fit in with my lifestyle.