View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Richard Armitage has legions of female fans called the Armitage Army and is first choice on my ever opimistic Christmas list (ideally in Lucas North mode) again this year.. But even he and Hugo Weaving to whom I have been devoted sine I was thirteen have not lured me to the cinema.
The movie has plenty of epic Richard Armitage (although he has a beard which might be a turn-off for you if I recall correctly) and Hugo Weaving is so much better(-looking) than in LotR. I think you'd enjoy it (regardless of Radagast's bunnies, prolonged actions scenes and general stupidity).

Anyway, more in the line of the original topic, I don't understand how can that woman complain especially as Thorin's name is spelt (and pronounced) differently than hers. And it seems (first time I google stuff in Swedish! be proud of me, fellow 'downers!) there are three translations of The Hobbit into Swedish (from 1947, 1962 and 2007) and apparently at least in the 1962 translation Thorin is called Ekenskölde. So this lady's complaints are at least 60 years outdated!

Aha, and now I checked even the article davem linked says:

Quote:
According to Klockby, the translation actually appeared as early as 1947 when the book was first released in Swedish. Furthermore, he claimed the woman is not even a true Ekenskjöld.

“We found out that this woman wasn't originally named Ekenskjöld - she just made it her name ten years or so ago,"
he told The Local.

“We don't know where this will go or what will happen next, we have told her to contact our lawyers for now.”

The Hobbit, first published in 1937, has been translated into Swedish three times, most recently in 2007 by Erik Andersson.

The first translation was completed in 1947 by Tore Zetterholm and was titled Hompen eller En resa dit och tillbaks igen however Tolkien, who had a keen interest in Scandinavian languages, didn't like the translation and considered it to have been too liberal.
Quite ridiculous.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote