View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I was pleasantly surprised by Radagast in the movie. He was not such as I imagined him, however, I am ready to accept this version of the character for movie purposes.

First of all, he is a part of a wide picture of Middle Earth. If in LoTR films they had to cut chunks of the original story and attempt to reduce this picture to filmable size, in The Hobbit they can present more characters and history. Thus Gandalf introduces wizards in a nicely way, beginning with a weather talk and even tolerating Bilbo asking if other wizards are really worthy or just like Gandalf himself.

Our first impression of Radagast is that this is a silly wizard (I love Silly Wizard ) who is unable to control the course of events when they go grim. It looks as if he is incapable of saving his friend (Sebastian is probably not very typically ME name) and seems to be in danger himself, with something like Nazgul about to break in. However he remains totally concentrated on his task and suddenly comes up with such a powerful spell that the hedgehog starts breathing and opens his eyes; and whatever it was outside has gone. This silly wizard is indeed a Maia.

Going to check Dol Gudur after finding out the malice of its new inhabitants, Radagast proves he is a valiant wizard. There he manages to defeat and disarm a Nazgul (probably Witch King), and comes under the direct attack of Sauron himself. That leaves him shattered but he was still able to take the Morgul blade and present it to Gandalf.

Races on the rabbit sledge look a bit silly and unnecessary but do not ruin the movie. In the end a little bit of silliness suites The Hobbit.

Checking Dol Gudur, taking the blade as a trophy and meeting Sauron face to face - all this plays a very important role in the story: Gandalf obtains a confirmation that his attempt to regain the Lonely Mountain is a right move. This also can explain why Radagast would be reluctant to fight openly: he was one of the few who faced Sauron's direct assault.

The bottom line is that people who seem silly and weird should not be overlooked. They sometimes can be worthy and contribute a lot.

Last edited by Sarumian; 12-19-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote