View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #74
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
Oh yes, Thingol was of course not flawed

That Elrond distances himself from the Noldor because of their past, makes me almost not liking him (almost!) If it wasn´t for the Noldor leaving Aman despite the Valar cammanding them to stay, there would be no Elrond. One could ask for a little more respect regarding his Noldorin ancestors.

I wouldn´t call them flawed (except Feanor and his sons), I would call them people with character.
Thingol had his flaws, but disobeying the King of the World was not one of them. Of course Elrond respects them, but disobeying the Valar and receiving a ban is no small matter. Worse still they were kin slayers in Aman itself. I know Galadriel and the House of Finarfin did not take part in this. Rather Galadriel in most accounts defended her kin, but then she STILL left with the Noldor.

I like the Noldor and they certainly did have character, but just like Turin and Morwen, whom resembled them so much; they had too much pride.

In retrospect distancing himself is perhaps too harsh. He rather traced his heritage to Elwe over Fingolfin/Finwe.

where as Elrond remained among the elves and carried on the lineage of Elwe.
and then the note adds
And Turgon; though he preferred that of Elwe, who was not under the ban that was laid on the exiles.
Quote:
Oh please really, where was Arwen "so great", she just happens to marry the King of Arnor and Gondor. Origianlly he would even have married Eowyn.
Originally Aragorn was a hobbit with a peg leg.

It does not distract from Galadriel's greatness, that Arwen was great in her own right. Aragorn actually uses Arwen's greatness to praise her.

O lady of Lorienof whom sprung Celebrian and Arwen Evenstar. What praise could I say more

Arwen was great and this reflects on Galadriel not just, because she was her grandmother, but also due to the tutelage Arwen received.
Quote:
It says "IF" Galadriel could, Elrond could too, but that is not the case.

Here's that next line...

But this is another matter. It was part of the essential deceit of the Ring to fill minds with imaginations of supreme power.

It says Galadriel thought she could, but that was because of one of the Ring's key powers - deception. Galadriel was deceived into thinking that she could use the Ring for herself.

That doesn´t make Elrond more powerful than Galadriel, actually i think it´s very unlikely that Elrond has more innate power, when you have in mind what Tolkien has written about her in comparision to Feanor.
I too don't think even Galadriel could defeat Sauron in person with the ring. That is not to say she would not defeat him in other ways. Like even lesser powers she would just command huge army and defeat Sauron that way. As powerful as Sauron was, Numenor alone was too great for him to handle in might alone.

However, the point still stands that when it came to a confrontation based on innate power alone, Elrond had the greatest chance of victory. It is Elrond who is given the most powerful ring. It is Elrond, who holds out against Sauron's siege too. Melian was a Maia on par and perhaps greater than Sauron. Luthien was an elf greater than Sauron. Six thousand years and over 60 generations down the line, this same ancestry is still giving Aragorn great healing powers.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote