View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
'"My son," said Gilraen, "your aim is high, even for the descendant of many kings. For this lady is the noblest and fairest that now walks the earth. And it is not fit that mortal should wed with the Elf-kin."

'"At last, Lady Evenstar, fairest in this world, and most beloved, my world is fading. Lo! we have gathered, and we have spent, and now the time of payment draws near."
This is not Tolkiens view, thatīs rather seen through the eyes of Gilraen and Aragon. Gilraen probably never meat Galadriel and therefore can not even judge that and Aragon is biased cause he is talking about his own wife, furthermore Galadriel wast in ME anymore when he said that.

The quote I provided was Tolkiens general view and not filtered through his characters.

Quote:
For this lady is the noblest
That is debatable too, I would say Galadriel is more noble, being the daugther of a king (Finarfin), Granddaughter of a king (Olwe) and great niece of two kings (Ingwe and Elwe, if we assume that Elwe held kingship in Aman) Arwen is much more removed. But thatīs just me. Arwen has of course the plus being decended from Melian, but for me that doesnīt make her necessarily more noble. Is just Gilraen not knowing better.

Iīs like Sam saying for example that Rosie is the fairest in ME, that wold e Sams opinion, bt not neccessarily Tolkiens, or Galadriel saying that Celeborn is the wisest elf in ME, that is her opinion but probably not Tolkiens, cause he once said that abot Cirdan.

Quote:
The Half-elven, such as Elrond and Arwen, can choose to which kind and fate they shall belong: choose once and for all. Hence the grief at the parting of Elrond and Arwen."-Letter 154

"Arwen was not an elf, but one of the half-elven who abandoned her elvish rights-Letter 345
Iīm very much aware that Tolkien said that Arwen isnīt an elf but half-elven, I was just trying to explain why I think that both are included in that statement, when Tolkien is talking in general of the third age eldar
Quote:
Galadriel was the mightiest and fairest of the remaining elves
They are several thousand years old and living among elves. They are more elven than mortal. I think itīs quite obvious, Arwen is even listened as one of the Eldar.

Quote:
There were three unions of the Eldar and the Edain: Luthien and Beren; Idril and Tuor; Arwen and Aragorn"
She was genetically not an elf, but still included when generally speaking of them, until she wedded Aragon. With Elrond itīs even more explizcit, even if heīs half-elven, since "he chose to be counted among the Eldar"

I donīt know how to explain, but isnīt she seen as an elf (Iīm not saying the she IS full elven) until she decided to become mortal? After her decision she stays half elven too, but then is no longer seen as an elf but a mortal women.

Quote:
Yet power was still one of the main reasons she left and was consequently banned from Aman. Her father was wise and brilliant, but had more wisdom.

What is wrong desiring a peaceful life? The Vanyar and the remaining Noldor were the ones who went and overthrew Morgoth. They were not scared, but wise enough to listen to the council of the Valar and not defy them
Iīm not saying that Finarfin wasnīt wise returning to Valinor or that the other elves were cowards, itīs just that every person has other goals in life (for Galadriel being influential or powerful) and not everyone is content in just singing and writing poetry, but I wouldnīt say that Galadriel was unwise or stupid for going to ME, she had her purpose, without her things may have ended worse.

Galadriel and Feanor are the only elves described as being brilliant, I donīt think that there a dumb elves anyway, but they are seemingly extraordinary in that area, thatīs the reason they werenīt content in living in Aman anymore, Galadriel even more than Feanor is seems.
I see nothing bad in her departure, I see a curious, knowlege- (slightly power) hungry "young" women who is looking for responsibility and something important to do. Even if she was looking for power, I donīt understand why some people see that in negative light. Itīs the method how someone craves for power which is cruicial and Galadriel wanted always the best for ME, that sets her apart from the likes of Morgoth, Sauron or Saruman. You can have the need for being powerful and still be a good person if you know when you have to stop. Galadriels "stop" was when she refused the ring.

Quote:
Arwen is Queen of Elves by her right and plays a huge part in running Aragorn's kingdom. Not only that, she was keeping watch on him from Rivendell, arranged for him to receive the Elessar and made his kingly banner.
I donīt understand, she was not in line for succession, if we go with the version that Gilgalads father was Orodreth (sp?) then the next would be Galadriel, then Celebrian, then first the twins. So Arwen was only queen because she married Aragon, had she not married him, she wouldnīt be the queen of the elves.

Last edited by elbenprincess; 12-11-2012 at 03:10 PM.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote