View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'm not trying to say the Teleri were necessarily in the wrong for having bows. It seems clear that it was the Noldor's possession of swords that really turned the tide there, and swords they would apparently not have had if they hadn't listened to Melkor speaking through Fëanor. There are indeed benign uses for bows, but for swords as used by the Noldor, only one darker purpose.
I'm not saying you said that. What I meant is that the Teleri didn't need superior or even equal - or even near equal - weapons to compete with the Noldor in battle. The pure advantage of being on a ship makes up for the lack of swords. The Teleri would have faired this way if their best blade was a pocket knife. Plus, half the Noldor didn't know which side is the bad guys, which also reduces their advantage they have from weapons.