View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Whether Fantasia's version of Bald Mountain is consistent with Stravinsky's idea is grounds for discussion but that difference doesn't denigrate the creativity of Fantasia, how it inspired audiences.
Night on Bald Mountain was a tune by Modest Mossorsky and has nothing to do with Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky, save that both were used in different parts of Walt Disney’s Fantasia . . . . Among those impressed by the film was Gunther Schuller, later a composer, conductor and jazz scholar. The Rite of Spring sequence, he says, overwhelmed him and determined his future career in music: “I hope [Stravinsky] appreciated that hundreds—perhaps thousands—of musicians were turned onto The Rite of Spring ... through Fantasia, musicians who might otherwise never have heard the work, or at least not until many years later”.
Note I didn't say Stravinsky wrote NoBM. I referred to it because it has undergone adaptations similar to that Stravinsky was complaining about, but even more so, from Mussorgsky to Rimsky-Korsakov to Leopold Stokowski and so is an even stronger case for the recreativity that Philip Glass and Beck were referring to in your link. It also happens to be the section of Fantasia that had the strongest impact on my children and I began my entry with with its effect on my children, my point being similar to that made by Gunther Schuller about RoS.