View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #26
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post
A system in which females are mostly denied rulership allowed to males would be by almost everyone be called a sexist system. Protest all you want. It will remain a sexist system.
In RotK it is said, "it was then made a law of the royal house that the eldest child of the King, whether man or woman, should receive the sceptre." [p. 353] This is not a denial of rulership. This would actually be some progress on the island of Numenor.

Quote:
Similarly a system in which rulers must be from a particular class will be a class system, despite the occasional exception.
Certainly. I've no problem with class.

Quote:
There are arguments that there are reasons for this, even good reasons, why female rulers were recognized only when the male line failed. That doesn’t make the practice non-sexist. It may indicate that it was, at least in origin, a practical solution to the problems of choosing a ruler.
Good point. But as the quote from RotK indicates it was law that "the eldest child of the King, whether man or woman, should receive the sceptre".

Quote:
Similarly laws against slavery exist with the consent of the majority of non-slaves, and laws giving full rights to gay folk exist with the consent of the majority of straight people, and laws allowing full rights to the handicapped exist with the consent of most of the able-bodied.
Consent to be taken into account and recognized nevertheless.

Quote:
Rights are often given only with the permission of those who are not part of the group to which the rights were given. What import does that have?
Access to those rights is the import of such things.

Quote:
Democracy does not depend on equality but about a contest in which a number of people try to obtain the most votes to rule or to become one of the rulers.
Democracy is for very small populations and does not work in large ones. Like a village is a place where Democracy can be practical.

Quote:
Few would be so dishonest as to say that all voters are equal in their discrimination in casting their vote.
Inequality abounds in all segments of life.

Quote:
No-where is it even suggested that Galadriel was equal to Fëanor as a craftsman and it is often indicated that Galadriel was probably less possessive than Fëanor. People are different in different ways. No one person is the exact equal of another, if you mean the exact equivalent.
I did not mean to say they were equals. That is my fault. Feanor as we are told, "was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind, in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and in subtlety alike, of all the Children of Illuvatar." [Sil., p. 112] Of Galadriel it is said that, "she was the greatest of the Noldor, except Feanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years... she grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor; she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth." [UT, p. 241] And of the two of them it is said, "These two kinsfolk, the greatest of the Eldar in Valinor were unfriends for ever... she withheld her goodwill from none save only Feanor." [UT, p. 241]

You say that "People are different in different ways" and I'd say we are just different.

Quote:
Suppose men were, on the average 50% stronger than women? What does that have to do with the right to rule?
Forgive my thoughts but I did not mean to correlate that statement with rulership. I was only speaking of a few of the differences that abound among us.

Quote:
Perhaps only professional, male, athletes should be allowed to enter politics and they should fight one another in an arena.
The arenas to which their skills are best put to use are fine enough. I believe that the politicians in my country of the U.S.A. are not fit for the arena in which they get down and dirty.

Quote:
It is doubtful that either Achilles or Penthesilia ever existed.
I don't believe they did but Quintus did a good job with them. Exciting tale.

Quote:
If you want a genuine warrior woman, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_I_of_Caria .
I love me some Rhonda Rousey.

Quote:
Stories of Amazons may also be untrue, but it is only your personal beliefs that indicate that the story of Achillles and Penthesilia is any more true.
They're likely are not true at all! I did not mean to reference Achilles-Penthesilia as a historical anecdote. My point was that the best male warrior will best the best female warrior. Not that females cannot beat males in a fight. I recall watching an entertaining beatdown in the street when a woman I know beat this guy up and basically overpowered him so badly she was bashing his head into a car.