View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
… also in the sexist world of ME there were 3 Queens of Numenor who ruled.
Considering how many rulers of Númenor there were, that actually sounds very sexist.

Of course, Tolkien was basing his politics on the rules of kingship found in the real world. Should he be blamed for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I have never felt the lack of female characters even as a nine year old proto-feminist first exposed to the hobbit and by the time I got to LOTR Eowyn and Galadriel were sufficiently wonderful to compensate for a mere head count, and I find their artificial insertion into the films patronising and as ludicrous as if they say made the Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan a woman. Anyway this has been a long digression off the topic, my fault no doubt for mentioning something that occured to me in the course of another response.
Quite agreed. One might as well blame the book Little Women for having too many women. In The Hobbit the only females even mentioned are Belladonna Took and one half of the Sackville-Bagginses. But the book is sufficiently well written that it transcends any attempt to blame Tolkien for writing an adventure story in which males only appear.

You digression was amusing and I though it might be fun to take it farther. Apparently not. Sorry.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote