View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Nikkolas
Haunting Spirit

Nikkolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Gandalf appears to have had no doubt about Saruman's potential to use the One, or for that matter, his own. The question for all the "great" of Middle-earth (Gandalf, Elrond, etc.) was not whether they could make use of the Ring, but whether they were capable of resisting its corrupting influence to keep their more pure goals intact. The conclusion of all of them was that they could not.

The limitations were in the form of "rules" formed by the Valar.

UT The Istari

ROTK Appendix A

I lean toward the idea that the embodiment situation did have a direct effect on the innate "magical" abilities of the Istari as well (which to me explains Gandalf the White's greater power after the death of his physical body and return in a "counterfeit" form). The Valar seem to have had a code of conduct in place as well for them to follow, so a twofold restriction was there as a safeguard, it appears.
Thank you for the quotes!

However I'm reading The Treason of Isengard right now and I'm wondering why didn't he do anything during the Ents' attack? Even Gandalf the Grey could conjure fire as a minor feat of power that wasn't against the rules. I don't understand why Saruman didn't unleash his full Maia wrath upon them.

Last edited by Nikkolas; 09-15-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Nikkolas is offline   Reply With Quote