View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #28
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Actually, in the Third Age, it could still have been done with the use of the One.
I am afraid I disagree that Sauron could actually be defeated using the One.
Quote:
My point was that it had already been proven that Sauron could be defeated without the Valar galloping to Middle-earth's rescue.
And the conditions changed, and it was obvious that Sauron would win now through sheer army might. Is there anything in the books contradicted what I said, or do you want me to source this claim, that in pure army terms Sauron would win, pretty much no matter what?
Quote:
That is, Gandalf did his job so well that MORTAL hands were *ABLE* to defeat the Witch King.
Sauron was neutralized *primarily* through the actions and choices of Men, Elves, Dwarves, Ents, Hobbits, etc.
I disagree. While the Men may have defeated the Witch-King on their own, Sauron was defeated by divine grace in my opinion. Were it not for the hobbits to be guided all up until the last moment, and were it not for the fortuituous destruction of the ring, then the Men will have perished, and M-E would have fallen.