View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #191
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

MESPN NEWS: Finals Preview Special

Philip McPhantom: Hello again, football fans. I'm chief MESPN football corespondent Philip McPhantom, and I'm here once more with Ruharg the dragon, sports editor of Monser Magazine, and Ar-Tar-Aradhil from Westernesse Weekly and president of the Numenorean Association for the Advancement of Football (NAAF).

Ar-Tar-Aradhil: Great to be here!

Ruharg: You would be cheerful, Aradhil.

Ar-Tar-Aradhil: Heh heh. Two for two in the semis!

Ruharg: Grrr, well done. I'm not pleased with my performance obviously.

Philip McPhantom: Well Ruharg, this is your chance to redeem yourself. Let's talk finals!

Ar-Tar-Aradhil: A great matchup to be sure. The patient discipline of Elrond and the Dunedain versus the flare and grandeur of the Ainu and Elves of Valinor. This should be a dream to watch!

Ruharg: And the bronze game ought to be great as well.

PMcP: Let's start there, why don't we... Who do you like in the bronze match?

Ar-Tar-A: I'm guessing Ruharg will have to go with his cousin's team again.

R: It bit me last round- maybe I shouldn't.

ATA: Well, I for one think AC Beleriand will get it done. Some teams don't play their best in the bronze match because they're disappointed they're not in the finals, but I don't think a letdown is in AC Bel's character.

PMcP: That's definitely a factor to consider. Look at the bronze match a couple years ago between Mithrim and Utumno-- many believe Mithrim won primarily because their defenders talked to Utumno non-stop about how meaningless the game was, and they weren't going to win the ultimate prize.

R: Yes- a Celegorm and Curufin ploy, wasn't it?

McP: Who else?

ATA: That's an excellent example, Philip. Personally I think Erebor would be more prone to that attitude. Feanor and Fingolfin have such a ridiculous amount of pride- I can't see them ever relaxing. They always want to win.

McP: Why wouldn't Erebor be the same?

ATA: They've already over-achieved in the eyes of many, and they might just be on enjoyment mode at this point. I mean, what's the big difference between 3rd and 4th place? They made the semis, and that's what will be remembered.

McP: Where as AC won't think that way?

ATA: I don't think they'll be looking big picture so much. Feanor gets one thing stuck in his head and he drives at it. In this case, he has a game to win- and we all know how good he is at getting others to go along with his plans.

McP: I see your point. Ruharg?

R: Well, I can't really refute that, but I think Erebor will put up a decent fight. Smaug is always a tough matchup, and the eagles will make AC work for their goals.

ATA: But they'll be ready to work. I'm thinking a two-goal win- maybe three.

R: I'm going with 2-1 or 2-2.

McP: All righty, now that the bronze game is settled- how about the championship?

ATA: I think it'll come down to possession. Eriador will want to own the ball and shorten the contest, because if Real owns it they are simply too effective at creating opportunities and Elrond can't stop an unlimited number of attempts.

McP: How aggressive will Real be on defense, and how much help will they give if Eriador turns up the pressure?

R: I don't think they will over-pressure. They'll keep balanced over the field encouraging Real not to over-commit to defense, and then hope their smart midfield will work to to Glorfindel and Witch King in good positions to do damage. If Real is looking to dash the other way then all the better for Eriador.

ATA: But if the Real defense can force any mistakes or bother passes to spring counters, Real enjoys a mad dash down the field. The terrific trio up front thrives on recovering defenses. It's easy to misdirect a charging defender, and Miriel and Nerdanel are just so quick and accurate.

R: That's another reason I say it will be in Eriador's best interest to keep a couple defenders back. I think Eriador will be playing to deny such counters.

McP: And what about when Real is on offense?

R: Eriador knows how to play D- they'll cramp the space and try and deny the distributors.

McP: What about Arien?

ATA: She'll probably have Asfaloth marking her nonstop, but I think the real key to shutting her down is doing what Ruharg said- keeping her fellow forwards from seeing much of the ball. Arien will still be dangerous on set plays, but in the natural flow of the game it's really the maneuvering and passing of Miriel and Nerdanel that opens Arien up for finishes.

McP: So will Eriador be successful?

R: No. I don't think they'll have lapses necessarily, but I don't think they'll hold possession quite long enough- Real will have opportunities and their skill is too great up front to be held scoreless.

ATA: I do think it's a bit much to expect Eriador to hold Real scoreless, but I do think they can keep them to one goal, and I think they can get one themselves.

McP: So you're thinking 1-1 then, Aradhil?

ATA: Yes. In overtime anything could happen, but on penalties I'd probably favor Eriador thus I'm picking them to win.

McP: Ruharg?

R: I'm going with Real... Let's say 2-1.

McP: Well there you have it. No matter what the result, I think we'll definitely enjoy these final games. Have fun watching everyone, and thanks for stopping by to talk each round guys.

R: No problem.

ATA: Yeah, enjoy the finals.