View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #185
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

MESPN NEWS: Semifinal Preview Special

Philip McPhantom: Hello football fans. We're to the semifinals now, and I've got the experts back with me again to take a look at things- Ruharg the dragon, sports editor of Monser Magazine, and Ar-Tar-Aradhil from Westernesse Weekly and president of the Numenorean Association for the Advancement of Football (NAAF).

Ar-Tar-Aradhil: Hello.

Ruharg: Hey, guys.

P McP: A better round for you this time around, wasn't it Ar-Tar?

ATA: Definitely. Three out of four isn't too bad.

R: One more than me, anyway.

P: Well, let's start with the one you disagreed on- Real vs Rohan.

R: I definitely missed on that. Arien was just a bit too big for the horses to bother, and her heat definitely made them shy, while Nerdanel and Miriel did in fact prove quick and crafty enough to give them problems.

ATA: Yes, Real definitely proved themselves, and with FC dropping out maybe Real has proved their the top Valinor squad.

R: Well, I think they need to at least make the finals to secure bragging rights after FC beat them in friendlies and group play.

P: Let's go ahead and discuss that other Valinor squad- FC. What happened with Erebor.

ATA: Well, even though Ruharg didn't get this match right, he still deserves some credit. I thought it'd be an easy FC win, but Ruharg didn't.

R: My comments proved true- about the recovery speed of the eagle defense, and the Smaug matchup. Erebor is a tough squad.

P: Well- why don't we go ahead and discuss what's next for Erebor- team Eriador.

ATA: We both figured they'd win Minas Tirith. Eriador is just solid up and down, punctuated by some surpassing talents.

R: They're similar in that respect to Erebor, only with a different play style.

P: So, the big question- who wins that match?

ATA: Eriador hasn't let me down yet and I'm going to stick with them. They don't make mistakes and play smart, the Witch King and Glorfindel are talented and opportunistic up front, and Elrond's foresight in the goal is just amazing.

P: But I'm guessing you disagree, Ruharg?

R: Naturally.

ATA: Heh- of course.

P: I suppose your cousin wouldn't forgive you, right?

R: Well naturally Smaug would be upset, and he'd have a special right to be after what Erebor did last round. I already thought more highly of them than most, and they really proved themselves in the quarters. I don't think Eriador is quite the team FC was, so I must pick Erebor.

P: Even if it's true that FC has an edge on Eriador, doesn't it come down to matchups? Perhaps Eriador is a worse matchup than FC.

R: There's something to be said about the discipline of Eriador, but their attack does not have the quick-strike ability of FC, and their individual players don't quite have the ball skills of the sons of Feanor. And I still think Smaug is a tough matchup.

ATA: I agree that they don't have an obvious natural dragon-stopper, but Asfaloth has the speed to track him when he's airborne, and decent enough weight and size to make things tougher on him than a normal human or elf.

R: Still not enough though- Eriador will have to deny him opportunities, and with all the forwards and midfielders for Erebor that know how to move the ball I don't think Eriador will be able to deny him.

ATA: We'll see. Personally I think Eriador will possess well enough to keep Erebor's offense off-kilter, and I believe Elrond will come up with the goods when necessary.

P: Okay, now we know where you guys stand on that one. How about the other semifinal- AC Beleriand vs Real Valinor?

ATA: I've really struggled to call this one. They're nearly the same teams in a way. They both possess skilled attackers and a big boot or two at the front, and both have a couple talents at the back to attempt to match up with them.

P: So which defense will match up best?

R: Miriel and Nerdanel both like to cause damage with pinpoint passes and runs and dribbling their defenders out of the play, while Arien stays near the middle and looks for powerful finishes. I think Rochallor will be the natural marker of Arien. Fingolfin could nullify Miriel or Nerdanel with his supreme athleticism, but what to do with the other? Meanwhile Tilion or Nienna would be a good counter for Beren, but Caranthir can only take Eol or Feanor, and what to do with the other?

P: So you're saying even under perfect conditions with the defenders finding the people they're best suited for, both teams might have a problem?

R: Yes. I don't think this game will be 1-0 or 1-1. There will be goals out there.

ATA: I think I'm with you on that. You'd be crazy to predict that Feanor gets held scoreless in a big game, and the trio from Real is just too crafty to be held off, particularly if Arien plays on fire and powerful like she did in the quarters.

P: So- who wins?

R: I'm taking AC. If Caranthir doesn't take Feanor then he'll shred Real, and if he does then Eol will do damage and Feanor can still come up with something when it counts, as no one can silence him completely. And I have big-time faith in Fingolfin on defense.

ATA: And again, I'm going the other direction. I'm picking Real. I think Tulkas in goal gives them the edge, and I think those forwards have found their stride and won't be held down. On defense I think they'll be willing to take the damage from Feanor and shut down everyone else and hold the ball when they can. After those early losses to FC I just think Real is hungry to prove they aren't second-best in their own land.

P: All right- a split on both games! Best of luck guys, and no matter what, the matches will undoubtedly be exciting. Enjoy them, everyone.