View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1341
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Saeryn & Eodwine

The other men left, much like men seeking shelter from a storm. Saeryn stood a couple paces away from Eodwine and waited. He hesitated. Saeryn had noticed his reluctance to act since his return. She attributed it to his sickness. Part of her went out to him – pitying him that he had to face adversity within his own home – and she regretted the trouble she was causing, even if she thought it was for the best. Her other part held firm. He was a respectable man, and he was a strong man, and no one should be allowed to treat him as anything less than lord Eodwine, even if he had not that title now. She would defend his honor, even if he would not.

“Eodwine,” she said. “Will we stay, or go somewhere else?”

"Let us go to our rooms where we can speak out of the hearing of others." He held out his hand to her.

Saeryn came forward, turning her eyes down as she stepped to his side and took his hand. He led her out of the hall and up to their room. She entered before him and he shut the door behind them.

She continued walking to the opposite side of the room. At the window, she turned and looked at him, waiting.

Eodwine sat on the bed and gestured for her to do the same. "Here, please, be easy. Sit down by me." She hesitated. "I want you to tell me how things were from your view, before I say anything at all. I want to know your mind."

Saeryn came and sat beside him. She laid her hand on his a moment as she sought for the right words to say. Her head was turned towards him, but her eyes were lowered, focused on their hands together.

"I thought I was doing right, Eodwine," she said without looking up at him. "I thought. . .I thought I saw something that needed to be addressed, and as you did not know of it, I went out to deal with it. You have been gone since Athanar came, so you haven't see how that man has treated Leof. I had just. . .had enough.

"And then when he insulted you - I don't know what came over me. I was so angry! It was after you had turned down the eorlship, and he called you a coward, and I couldn't take it from that scoundrel!"

He smiled. Yes, she was a bit hot-headed, and he had only been back a little while; she had gotten used to having to defend herself on her own. It would take some getting used to, to have her husband there to defend the honor of both of them. He squeezed her hand and kissed her.

"I married the right woman. You have a good mind and good sense, and have been left on your own for months now. Well, my dear, I'm back. From now on, let us face Scarburg and Middle Earth together, in minds alike. Maybe it will take time for us to get used to each other again. Would you like that?"

Saeryn looked up at him quizically. He was not angry with her, then?

"Yes, Eodwine," she said. "But we must come to like minds, and I do not know yours. Well," she hesitated, "yes, I do. But I am confused. This man openly declared you a liar and coward, and yet you do nothing. Just now, you said you were of like mind with Scyrr. Do you believe me in the wrong? Am I to blame for all this? What will you do to regain your honor?"

Eodwine could not keep all of her questions in his mind at once, much less in the order asked. But he remembered the one most urgent to be answered, and the rest came to him as he spoke. "You have already owned all the blame you have coming. You bear no more blame than that. Scyrr has much to answer for, and I deem Athanar is not done with him. But were I to answer the man on his terms, I lower myself to his foolishness. I will not do that. If I seem to him coward and liar because of that, I do not lose much. If I seem that to the men of Scarburg until the truth is out, it is a small price to pay. Foremost in my mind is to be true to what is right and best, and I care not what men think as long as that is so. As for what I will do to regain my honor, to my mind I have not lost it. What I will do to gain the respect of the men, that is a more difficult matter, and will need thought."

Saeryn sat silently for a moment, considering his words. She had learned that men must answer for themselves if openly spoken against. She wondered how Eodwine could regain the men's respect by not answering this man.

On the other hand, she knew everyone else knew that Scyrr was drunk and was wrong. Perhaps, after all, Eodwine spoke wisely and correctly. He usually did.

"I see," she finally said. "Then what is our next step?"

"Tell Athanar that you and I are of one mind, if and once that is so, and then speak with each other first something like this happens again." But she seemed doubtful. "Is there something I need to know yet?"

Saeryn shook her head. "No. It is just that usually when a man is insulted in public, he gives an answer. But. . .no, you have already said it would be folly to answer him in kind." She sighed. "I - I feel if nothing is done to address him. . . " she stopped. She couldn't bring herself to say that her own pride was hurt and she wanted to see Scyrr punished - that it would satisfy her anger if he were. How childish. How cruel. "Nothing," she said. "Tell me your mind on this matter, and I will do my best to follow your lead. What do you think should be done?"

He saw that much was on her mind that she did not say, but it seemed to him by her words that her thought was to choose the wiser way. He smiled. "My lead is for us to walk into the Hall hand in hand, smiling, showing all that we two are of one mind and heart, that we stand above the petty fights of those who would try to drag us down. Is it well?"

Saeryn nodded. "Yes. I will do that and I will follow your lead. I am sorry I have caused this. I will do what I can to amend what has happened."

She sounded - what was the Gondorian word? - subdued. Not herself. He rubbed her back and stroked her hair, and other small husbandings until she relaxed. Then he stood and offered her his hand.

"Let us do together whatever is needed to amend what has happened."

She nodded once and they walked out of the room, hand in hand.