View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3766
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
More interesting than UT? Different. But certainly fascinating and very readable.

I would say that UT gives extra information nn things that fit fairly easily with the main stories as published in The Silmarilllion, Hobbit and LOTR. You get more information about Numenor, The wizards, the Battles of the Fords of Isen where Theoden's son, was killed, the Palantiri, Gandalf's meeting with Thorin, Isildur's death. I love it since I love the world of Middle Earth as shown in the main texts.

The letters by their nature give some fascinating snippets when he answers specific questions from readers and also give an insight into his personality and life. Read both!!! Both can be dipped into. It may be helpful to read the Humphrey Carpenter biography too since he edited the letters and the letters are in chronological order. I happen to have read the bio ages ago and the letters relatively recently and I think having read the biography made the letters more interesting since you knew a bit aboout the correspondents.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote