View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Methinks it's an apprentice or a follower of a kind, and has something to do with religion. (I checked: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acolyte) The narration also implies he is related to the seer and can choose his side (or at least may change sides, maybe not on his own will). So we have some kind of cursed-kind of person? An assistant of the seer who changes sides if attacked by the wolves? Ugh, sounds disastrous.

edit: xed with the Empress's ghost
I also got the impression that the Acolyte would be somebody who could switch sides, yes. The idea I had when reading it was that it could be something along the lines of a Seer (weaker Seer, perhaps? Not sure how exactly to define "weaker", but let's say one dream per several Nights, or not getting specific info - like only getting the ordo/special affirmation or good/evil affirmation etc, we've seen all this before). "Near as skilled as yourself in sorcerous arts" implies something like that, and "if the acolyte proves truly loyal" points to the uncertainity. Might be that the Acolyte takes the Seer's place after the Seer is killed, OR takes a Wolf's place after the first Wolf (resp. traitor) is killed, to compensate? However I am not sure if I'd believe this. The most likely possibility to me would be something like a Seer-like Gifted (as I have outlined above) who can actually choose the side. There used to be roles like that as well in other games. Basically: caring for its own survival, but can join either side. Somehow, I am slightly doubtful also about this (it would be too simple to be able to just choose if the role was really just a Seer who chooses), but it's probably the best I can think of right now. The "cursed Seer" idea of Lommy's hasn't occured to me, would be possible, though not nice. However, if it was like that, we'd probably learn about it the way that one Night suddenly there'd be no kill etc...

Anyway, perhaps further narrations will also contain more information about the Acolyte's role, at least hints like this.

Anyway... otherwise... well, I think there isn't much more to speak about right now, so at least something.

Will be around...

EDIT: X-ed with two Lommys. Ahem, you really missed that game a lot, right...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote