View Single Post
Old 02-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #26
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

What I find very depressing is the number of poorly-spelled, exclamation-mark riddled and abusive junk signings of that site's guest book in support of Tolkien and his work. I sincerely hope that no member of this forum is responsible for this cretinous drivel, which I find more offensive than I would a balanced, reasonable argument in support of the site's founder. We've all read The Lord of the Rings at the very least, and we know the level of English that Professor Tolkien enjoyed. Do these people really think that they are doing his memory any service at all by screaming semi-articulate abuse in a language that I can scarcely recognise as my own?

Almost all of those whose signings were posted on the site (I notice that my own has mysteriously disappeared) can be summed up in the words of Mills and O'Neill's Marshal Law:

Quote:
Such a carnival of empty. Such a pageant of non-entities. So many exotic variations on nothing.
I think that it is time we allowed this thread, and the memory of a web-site that is bad in every conceivable way to drop from our attention forever.