View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Just one brief comment from the beginning of this story:

What is it with Tolkien's wives and mothers?! Here we have yet another who effectively abandons her child (yes, she provided for fostering, but that's not the same as having an actual mother). Rather than staying with Tuor, Rían leaves him with the Elves and dies. Is life as a wife more important than life as a mother? Does her life end with that of her husband? This is an attitude I don't understand.

That is echoed in Arwen's death after Aragorn died, and I'm trying to remember another example that doesn't occur to me right now.
Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking, when I read the beginning of the story!!
(Miriel also left her newborn son Fëanor, but just from overwhelming weariness (aka postnatal depression) so it's not quite the same.)

The beginning tells us only very briefly about Tuor's youth with the Grey-elves, his captivity under the Easterlings (I had hardly rememberd this; but was delighted with the detail of the pursuing dogs being devoted to Tuor; I can imagine he was the only one that was kind to them! ) and his time as an outlaw. But the tale becomes much more detailed from the start of his journey to the Sea.

I agree very much with all that Formendacil has written! The detailed description of the landscape also struck me, and reminded me of LotR. (I now traced Tuor's wanderings on the Atlas of MiddleEarth)
The Silmarillion was rather hard to read, but UT is a splendid complement, and much easier to read. We get to know the protagonists much closer here, and can feel with them.

Personally, I have a special liking for Voronwë. His tale of how he tarried on the way and his description of his delight in Nan-tathren is hauntingly beautiful and his account of the sea voyage is very touching and tragic. There is hardly any other elf who reveals so much about himself, is there? I also like how close companions and friends Tuor and Voronwë become, and the way Tuor sometimes takes the initiative.
The detailed description of the Orfalch Echor and all its gates sounds again more like in a fairytale.
And indeed it is very frustrating when the story comes to an abrupt stop!