Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #174
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I will repeat what I've said before: there is, in principle, nothing wrong with adding more named roles to "The Hobbit"– in fact, I'd say it's necessary, in order to "flesh out" groups like the Lake Men and Wood Elves- who in the book are given very little individuality at all. And I think there has been far too much jumping to conclusions, too much wild speculation, and yes, too much venom. (Expressed, if I may say so, in what at times has been a distinctly sexist manner.) We simply don't know anything about this "Tauriel" role yet, and that's that. Superfluous? Maybe. Elven tart in a wet T-shirt? Why? PJ et al., whatever other sins they may have committed, did *not* put anyone like that in the LotR movies.

However, let's not let the reaction to the reaction get out of hand either. (The Amy Winehouse affair being a case in point, as very soon her fans were ready to scream "hater" at anyone unwilling to join in their mutual weeping-and-scar-baring fest– I copped some of that myself.) The original "Itaril" character was pretty darned worrisome, and I can see why some people are ready to fear the worst of "Tauriel". On that note, though– the "damage control" Elfchick speaks of may be more because of the general response to "Itaril", than because "Tauriel" is going to be just as bad. That is, they're in damage-control mode, all right, but perhaps it's because of damage that's happened already.