View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
I'd disagree with Galadriel re British use of the word dugout, probably because I'm older (yet another birthday has just passed, but a very enjoyable one!). Dugout would certainly have a military connotation, and more than likely be associated with the First World War, where the front lines were relatively static for so long. This would be a familiar word to Tolkien's generation, to the Second World War generation, and likely their children (due to war films, comics etc).
I know of a use of dugout from WW II. General Douglas MacArthur's (American) troops in the Philippines had a rather derisive poem about him, set to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic:

Dugout Doug MacArthur lies ashaking on the Rock
Safe from all the bombers and from any sudden shock
Dugout Doug is eating of the best food in Bataan
And his troops go starving on.

Quote:
Tolkien was also dismayed by aerial warfare (despite CT joining the RAF), and I have a theory that the terrifying wails of the Nazgul were suggested by the sirens of Nazi Stuka dive-bombers that demoralised the defenders of France in 1940.
The description of the War of Wrath in The Silmarillion has an interesting aerial component, that's always reminded me of the terror air power can have against ground forces.

Quote:
Out of the pits of Angband there issued the winged dragons....and so sudden and ruinous was the onset of that dreadful fleet that the host of the Valar was driven back, for the coming of the dragons was with great thunder, and lightning, and a tempest of fire.
Now that's a pretty accurate description of an air raid, I think.

Quote:
There are also some interesting parallels between the writing of LoTR and course of the Second World War. The story-writing stalled at Balin's Tomb in Moria sometime in late 1940, according to the Foreword. At this time Britain and the Commonwealth stood alone and nobody knew that the Blitz and the U-boat campaigns would, in the end, fail to bring Britain to her knees. Maybe JRRT even considered the book pointless or useless in some way compared with the great struggle proceeding all around him? It's interesting that he continued only in late 1941, by which time both the USSR and the USA had allied to Britain and victory seemed achievable.
Certainly the Battle of Britain would have been a major concern for him. I wonder of all the collateral damage wrought on British civilians by the Luftwaffe was echoed later in the burning of Rohan by Saruman's troops?

Quote:
I think though, that the main wartime impact on Tolkien is shown by Sam. He seems the ideal 'batman' - an ordinary soldier that accompanied a junior officer and looked after the officer's day-to-day needs in the field, cleaning kit, fetching food etc. To me he represents the 'Tommy', ie the British soldiers in both World Wars. Stereotyped as stubborn, loyal and cheerful and often regarded as possessing more wisdom than their superiors, or at least a more practical sort, as the article that Galadriel posted makes clear.
That makes a good deal of sense. Not the brightest bulb in the pack, but then, he didn't have to be. Planning of strategy was not his duty, just, as you say, loyalty and service to "superiors".