View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #293
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I know the village expects congratulations– but for once I'm not actually going to deliver them.

Thing is, I know lots of you played your best, and all that– but it wouldn't have mattered if you hadn't, since the game was essentially impossible for you not to win– at least it was once Pitch realised he had nothing to lose by outing the rest of us immediately. This is not to take away from individuals' success in spotting wolves– I mean, to put it bluntly, I think poor Bom earned his Fenrissing, even if Pitch helped out. But the point is, it would have made no difference to the outcome if you'd all played terribly.

Yes, I knew you were the Sweetheart, Finduilas. We also knew Pitch was the KD by Night Two. In fact he admitted it. And we could do nothing because he could, in effect, self-protect! And by the time we'd dealt with that problem, he'd had time to expose us, and gain an ally– and by then he couldn't be modfired without simply confirming every thing he said. That's why Rikae and I tried such a desperate final ploy– because we were in a situation where the other side had all the cards and we had none– through no fault of ours.

I do not blame Foley in this, understand– it's her first time modding, and the rules were extremely complex and had gone through so many changes that I think everyone had lost track of exactly how they worked until the game started. The idea of the KD's role was that he was an undercover agent in a tense, dangerous situation– instead, the final version was, quite by accident, an invincible super-gifted. Now, in my opinion, if a player finds an unintended loophole in the rules that basically gives his side automatic or near-automatic victory, he should point this out only for the purpose of correction. That's really the only way these experimental games can be made to work– because there's *always* some oversight in the rules.

And phantom– I would have opposed your Plan even more strongly if I'd been on the good side. I wouldn't have wanted to win on those terms. I also don't appreciate your later using my perfectly reasonable opposition to it to construct your "case" against me–which was pretty obviously fabricated in response to Pitch's semi-reveal.

Yes, I'm sure I sound like a sore loser– but believe me, I've won and lost many a game of WW before. I know what a reasonably fair game looks like, and this wasn't one. I feel angry and humiliated and I consider Pitch and phantom's conduct as close to cheating as makes no difference.

I feel so strongly about this that I will not be listing this game in my stats, when I come to update, as a "loss", as that would imply the outcome had been open.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-20-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typo
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote