View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Friendlies

FRIENDLIES - ROUND 1 PREDICTIONS
Two Towers Network

As is customary, I love making predictions and for new phantasy members we've added matches called friendlies last year, and I'm pleased to see them again this year. Friendlies don't effect the tournament, and I'll caution they aren't always indicative of a teams success when the tournament begins. Think of the friendlies as warm-ups.

There is no way to tell what will happen when the tournament begins and when all the teams are giving max effort, as during the friendlies the teams won't be playing at full speed or urgency. However, the 4 rounds of friendly matches will let you get a sense of how the teams will play, what strategy they will use to win, and you can begin picking out individual players for your phantasy teams.

And as the friendlies are warm-up matches for the teams to get practice, so they all begin the Arda Cup playing their best. The friendlies offer to me warm-ups to start making predictions, since I have a reputation to uphold. I'll predict the scores of Round 1, but only have commentary on a few of them. When the tournament begins, all matches wil have top of the line analysis that you won't get anywhere else.

Some of the matches TTN will be covering and other interesting match ups.

Anduin vs. Misty Mts
Two teams I'm curious to see are facing right at the start. Anduin is newly formed and the diversity of the team will mean it can adjust to different opponents. But the diversity also means it will take some time before all the players are on the same page.

Misty Mts is not new, but they have a lot of new pieces and old faces that need to play together. They are traditionally a very card-heavy team (which means negative phantasy points), but Saruman may bring a bit of cunning that means his defenders may more easily miss the eye of the ref instead of just ramming their shoulders into opponents to bang them up. Also, Caradhras at goal, I want to see how this gamble works for the old wizard.

Esgaroth vs. Shire-Bree United
Smaug has left his former team in ashes, just like he did so many years ago and has departed to play with Sauron and join another formidable dragon, Scatha. How will Esgaroth deal with the loss of their star? Brand's a solid GK and Girion is pretty good. But I don't see much else Dale fans should be thrilled about. Bard and Dain are trying out the FW position for the first time.

I anticipate Shire-Bree United to be one of the interesting teams to keep an eye on. Unusual, yes, because I normally call the hobbits talentless bums. However, with all the Fellowship hobbits gathered together, plus the infusion of Bree players, I anticipate this gathering to play exciting, attacking football. How many goals they get, and how well they do? Only time will tell.

Gondolin vs. Hithlum
Last years champions, Gondolin, have been blown up and seem to be in rebuilding. It's a solid line up, with legendary names, I'm just questioning their firepower. Part of their success was an ability to score goals when they needed, and it came relatively easy with strikers like Maeglin and Aredhel. Those two are gone (so is one of the best MFs - Eol) and they've been replaced by untested players. Also, Turgon's been accused in the past, to play a boring negative style.

Hithlum will be dangerous, don't let the lack of stars fool you. Celegorm and Curufin are normally defenders, but even as defenders they scored goals. Hador is also a goal scoring machine.

Gondor vs. Minas Tirith
I wouldn't have my job anymore if I didn't analyze this match.

In all seriousness it should be just a fun match to witness, and truly live up to the name of "friendly." Gondor has the more legendary talent, but the Minas Tirith players are very familiar with eachother. Neither team will need to practice on chemistry and playing together, which means you'll likely get treated to some good football. Especially with the MF of Minas Tirith: Eowyn, Imrahil, Faramir...not great individually, but together that makes a formidable MF.

PREDICTIONS
Anduin 1 - 2 Misty Mts
Angband 2 - 1 Minas Morgul
Angfauglith 1 - 1 Himring
Barad-Dur 0 - 2 Westernesse
Beleriand 1 - 0 Mithrim
Doriath 3 - 1 The Forest
Dunharrow 1 - 1 Mordor
Eregion 1 - 1 Wilderland
Eriador 1 - 2 Numenor
Esgaroth 1 - 3 Shire-Bree United
Gondolin 1 - 2 Hithlum