View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
What I would like to know is why anyone would lie about reading any book? Perhap-- Folwren
I must admit I have read English translations of books I was meant to read in the original occasionally - I had to read Germinal which starts with a long and very technichal description of a mine which had me referring to Larousse and Robert every sentence to look up words I had not needed beforeand I was averaging 3 cups of coffee per page. It was either get a head start with a translation or die of caffeine poisoning. The other thing is I may be lying by omission or comission simply because I am getting older and can't necessarily rememeber books I may have read very quickly 15-20 years ago. I was talking to Lalwende about The French Lieutenants Woman and I am sure I have read some John Fowlds back in the day but I am not now sure if I have read it or merely seen the film! Similarly when you get the great book lists I sit there and think "I know I have read something by Marquez but was it 100 years of Solitude or Love in the time of Cholera.. Not bragging, just senile...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote