View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #3078
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If you will accept my humble suggestions as to how a man would say what you have put in Thornden's mouth. One trick for writing men versus women is that, in general, once a woman's tongue is loose, it stays loose, whereas words come haltingly to men, especially in tricky situations like this. In general, whereas a woman would fill the silence in order to cover the discomfort, for men, the discomfort is in finding the words in the first place. The below might be more of a man's way.

Quote:
Thornden opened his mouth but the words came slowly. “Saeryn didn’t know about a letter.” He tried to work out his thoughts before he said something he'd regret. “Ginna would have told her if it gave no blessing." He paused, trying to gauge his listener's reaction; there was none. "His disapproval never kept her from ... showing interest in you before. This cannot be final…unless…did he say she had to leave?”
The above is far from perfect as an illustration of what a man might say versus a woman. But maybe you can see the gist of what I mean? Another trick is using a euphemism for the word, "love". Harreld will know what he means, but be grateful Thornden avoided the word. In fact, I may want to edit my last post for Harreld if you revise yours. Let me know....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-01-2011 at 12:57 PM.