View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #66
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post

As a matter of fact, I do agree that the Tolkien Estate– and copyright holders in general– are quite often heavy-handed about protecting their "property"– but the particular argument you're using here doesn't support that at all. In fact, I have to tell you that, whatever your intention may be, it actually *looks* rather like you're just trying a bit of damage-control.
That would only work if the badge thing was the point of the thread - which it wasn't. The book thing is the point of the thread - & that is still straight fact. The 'facts' re the badge thing are - the guy behind the badge was specifically told by Zazzle that the Tolkien Estate had contacted them, informed them that the product infringed copyright, & that story was run by Associated Content, Boing Boing & Techdirt. The recipient of the emails from Zazzle has reproduced them, so you can read them for yourself (see Mr. U's link above). The story was accepted as true by all concerned & by many readers of those sites & here on the Downs, & fir many of them that acceptance was based either wholly or in part on the actions taken by the Estate re copyright ownership over the past few months/years, because the Estate has come to be seen as a bit too eager to resort to legal actions.

So far as we now know the Estate was not responsible for the badge incident, but if you think that it is not significant that so many people believed that that was just the kind of thing they would do then I think you are missing something important. And I would point out that I did not do any shouting on all the other sites that ran the story, so I can't be held responsible for what happened over there.

EDIT

What we have re the Badge - from the Zazzle email http://www.giro.org/2011/03/01/the-zazzle-emails/ :

Quote:
With regards to details of the infringement, all legal documents are confidential therefore I cannot release this undisclosed information. But we ask that you do acknowledge the fact that we were contacted by The J.R.R. Tolkien Estate, and at their request to prevent and remove any unauthorized and infringing third-party uses of their copyrights, trademarks and intellectual properties.
From Boing Boing (statement from Estate Lawyers re the badge http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/01...ien-estat.html :

Quote:
According to Maier, "Zazzle has confirmed that it took down the link of its own accord, because its content management department came across the product and deemed it to be potentially infringing."
From the Zazzle emails :
Quote:
After corresponding with representatives from the Tolkien Estate, it’s been brought to our attention that the design was removed inadvertently due to a miscommunication on our part.
So the sequence of events seems to be

1) Tolkien Estate Lawyers contact Zazzle & tell them to
Quote:
"prevent and remove any unauthorized and infringing third-party uses of their copyrights, trademarks and intellectual properties.
2) Zazzle over-react & pull the badge because someone there decides that because it mentions Tolkien's name it may potentially infringe - ie, 'miscommunication on their part'

3) story is run on various sites

4) Tolkien Estate respond by stating that they never demanded this particular item to be removed.

So, the Estate contact Zazzle (as has not been denied - & there would be no need for them to do so as they are within their rights to do so) ask them to remove anything dodgy, Zazzle pulls the badge because they think it does, Tolkien Estate gets in touch & tells them they weren't referring to stuff like the badge.

Or that's my take on events.

So, I accept that the Estate didn't ask for this particular item to be taken down & that Zazzle messed up - probably because they were afraid of potential legal action from the Estate.

Now, I find it significant that no-one doubted that the Estate would behave in the way initially stated & I put that down to the series of legal actions they have recently instigated or threatened to instigate (which may have inspired Zazzle's overreaction).

You find it not to be significant that so many people just accepted that the Estate would behave that way. I can't see that particular tangent leading us anywhere so I'm happy to return to the main point of the thread.

EDIT ADDENDUM

I'm going to be a bit busy for a few days so won't be popping up on here - just pointing that out in case the thread runs on & anyone thinks I'm running from the fight... :P

Last edited by davem; 03-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote