Thread: Physiques
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytree View Post
If you look at a literal description of Beorn, you could extrapolate that he was Goliath proportions, maybe 10-12 feet tall and it always seem he is dismissed because the Hobbit was meant to be a kids tale and Tolkien tried to fold it into the greater setting he created for Lord of the Rings.
Well, "always" there is pretty vague, skytree. Who is doing this dismissing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytree
Something more substantial for example than a paragraph which is basically all we hear about Helm.
But that is enough to establish his existance, surely? I mean, your initial statement was:
Quote:
...it seems there were no plus size or large physique people in Middle Earth. Aragorn and Boromir were large, powerful men but neither were described as any more than what could be perceived as athletically built. Elf or Man, no one seemed to be described as massive, enormous, huge...
(my bolding)

Quote:
I've only scratched the surface on reading the Unfinished Tales or History of Middle Earth, that is why I am posting. If Helm is it, it seems odd that he was the only great warrior that had a robust physique.
Well, what about the "mighty" Erkenbrand? Or is he again disqualified as being only a minor character?