Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Oh dear, this sounds terrible.

Well, no surprise I guess, in a big block-buster these days there has to be a strong, female character to appeal to a very profitable demographic group.
"Strong", indeed! There has to be a female character who is young, pretty, and can use a sword (or an equivalent weapon suitable for the story). Therefore, she is a wonderful female role model, which is further emphasised by that her personality, beyond the things mentioned above, is reduced almost to zero, or even below. (Though speaking of that, not that many main male characters are much better in that regard.)

In any case, I don't know what is the reason to bring her in, but what I hate the most are these pseudo-heroines (indeed, pseudo-heroines, because on top of everything else, they are mostly just pitiful less-than-human or less-than-elf or whatnot creatures) invented out of nowhere because there weren't enough women in the books. In LotR, there were few women, but those who were there compensated with their impact and personality (thinking mainly of Galadriel, who would have sufficed for the whole book even if she was alone, and Éowyn, and Ioreth - three great personalities. Oh, and Goldberry. Rosie Cotton and Arwen in brackets, they don't stand out very much, or play any very active role). Unfortunately, there was no woman in the Hobbit (except for Belladona Took - now that would be a worthy character!), but we can surely live with that. We have learned to accept it and like the story as it is. You blasphemers go and make your own movie about something else if you don't like it.

(I have the feeling I have been here before.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote